The Sandstone Way
- Skill Level
- Start Point
- End Point
- Highest Altitude
Places To Eat & Stay
The Sandstone Way is 120 miles between Berwick-upon-Tweed and the historic town of Hexham, taken either direction, along the Sandstone Ridge in North Northumberland. Journeying on to Wooler, Rothbury and Bellingham, this county is packed with England’s best kept secrets and after completing this cycle route, you will certainly want to come back for more.
- An off-road adventure through spectacular and often remote scenery.
- Varied terrains and contrasting landscapes to enjoy from sea views and cliff top paths to moorland and forest roads of Northumberland National Park.
- Challenging technical sections, plus ascents and exhilarating descents in equal measure.
- Getting away from it all in England’s Last Wilderness.
Why choose this route?
- This relatively new long-distance mountain biking route follows a sandstone ridge from Berwick upon Tweed to Hexham through remote, dramatic and iconic Northumbrian countryside.
- With varied terrain, some challenging technical sections and spectacular scenery it will appeal to mountain bikers of all abilities.
- Most people will want to complete the route in 4 days but this can be reduced or extended to add extra challenge or allow more time to explore the many sites along the route like Holy Island or the National Trust’s Cragside and Wallington Hall.
- If you want an off-road adventure that will test both skills and stamina then the Sandstone Way is a great choice.
Why choose EcoCycle Adventures?
- Based in the heart of the Northumberland countryside we have the benefit of local knowledge and can provide you with tailored information to help you make the most of your trip.
- With 10 years’ experience in bicycle holidays you can rest assured you are in reliable, experienced hands.
- Our range of vehicles includes: 4 and 6 seat cars, 8 seat people carriers, 16 seat minibuses and 22 seat mini-coach, plus a range of cycle trailers so we can cater for all group sizes big and small.
- to the start point and collection from the end point, accomodation and baggage transfers from and to your accomodation.
Eco Cycle Adventures has capabilities to cater for all sized groups, whether you’re with friends or family.
Our team, some with first aid training and with a general knowledge of bike mechanics, if requested are enthusiastic, friendly and eager to help.
We provide comfortable transport, quality cycle-friendly accommodation and top of the range bike carriers and bike trailers.
Our drivers are experienced and professional, more than qualified to support you on your adventure and we can even provide some with first aid training and a general knowledge of bike mechanics.
We can help you by organising all or part of your cycle adventure. Options include:
Full Cycle Package
- Transfer from Newcastle to Berwick upon Tweed to start your trip
- All baggage transfers between accommodation
- Cycle friendly B&B accommodation
- Route Maps and GPX file
- Phone support available from 7am to 10pm daily
- Baggage Transfers between accommodation
- Emergency support – to help you in your moment of need
- Bike hire – electric or pure pedal power available
- Bunkhouse or luxury accommodation available on request
- Extra days – if you want more time to take in the sites along the way you can extend your trip to up to 5 night’s.
- Transfers to other drop off or pick up locations
- Professional and experienced tour guide
Contact us to find out more and book your cycling adventure: firstname.lastname@example.org, 01434 610076 or full in our online enquiry form.
Our Sandstone Way Full Cycle adventure packages which include transport, baggage transfers and accomodation are available from £295 per person based on 3 days cycling and 3 night's accomodation.
Contact us with your details to find out more and to get an exact cost.
Our price for riders, bikes and bags will vary depending upon whether you’re collected from your home, multiple collection points, transport hubs or the amount of people travelling in your group.
Please get in touch to discuss your exact requirements, speak to one of our knowledgeable team members and get an exact cost for you and your group.
Email us on email@example.com, call us on 01434 600600 or simply click on the enquiry form, we look forward to hearing from you.